
Tuesday I set out on my own to explore the huge island of Penang. It was my first day really traveling alone, & I loved it. I forgot how much I like being by myself, and the independent feeling that accompanies finding my way on my own. I realized I am much more observant and reflective by myself. I took the local bus system, which was clean and very easy to get around.
It becomes evident immediately upon arrival to Penang what a melting pot of people are living here in such close proximity in Malaysia. I had read about this, but it didn't sink in until I saw it myself. there are Indian, Chinese, Thai & Malay people, Buddhists, Hindis, & Muslims all coexisting fairly peacefully.

I left Georgetown and went first to the Thai Buddhist temple with the sleeping Buddha. It starting pouring rain, so I took my time admiring the statues & reading the memoirs on urns of donors remains. I put money in donation boxes for a few specific gods, one claiming to bring good health to your family if you devote worship to him. As I waited out the downpour outside, I chattedwith an elderly Asian woman from the UK who claimed to have made the trip to see her mothers remains. Its amazing the interesting people who approach me & will talk to me since I'm a Western woman traveling alone.
The rain continued so I ran across the street into the Burmese Bhuddist temples to compare and admire more devotional figures.



When the rain let up I headed back to the bus stop and hopped onto a very crowded one heading North. The bus was packed with school students heading home, many of the girls in Muslim dress. I was amazed how the high rises stretched on & on as we went up around the island toward The beach area of Batu Ferringhi. I saw several American chain restaurants, there are lots of Starbucks, McDonalds, & KFCs here in Malaysia. I was expecting the beach resort area to be a little bigger & nicer than it was. There wasn't much to do besides stroll down the beach and watch the para sailers & guys on jet skis. The beach wasn't very pretty nor did it have any sunbathers. I had lunch at a cafe, then went to get a foot massage & manicure - much more expensive than in Thailand- to await the opening of the night market lining the streets. On the way I saw some kind of protest, people banging & asking street music & holding signs for autos to honk in their support. It must have been some sort of labor dispute at a large hotel.


By night the area looked completely different as the streets lit up & filled with vendors & shoppers. I spent the money I had brought surprisingly quickly as I acquired a few new dresses and other souvenirs. I chose one of the Indian food vendors in the large food court for dinner, then caught the bus back to Georgetown for the night.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
No comments:
Post a Comment