Monday, April 1, 2013

March 29



I survived the overnight on rough waters. I was getting pretty tired by the end of my watch, and I could see why people go crazy. It got boring and I swear I started to see things. Around 11:00 a cruise ship came up behind us but didn't get too close, that was the only excitement. There was a huge orange moon, nearly full and lots of stars. I tried to go to sleep around 2:00 with the help of Tylenol PM, but it was really loud and rough. I imagine it's what it would feel like to be in a large clothes dryer, tossing around, but with something loud like a brick in it with you. The waves make loud crashing sounds and things inside the boat slam around, making it nearly impossible to sleep. I did manage to doze for several hours though, until Renan woke me at 7:30 to take a shift. He let me know that we are motoring and only using the jib to sail, because the main sheet (a rope to control the boom of the main sail) snapped overnight.
I am learning lots of things can go wrong on a boat, some more serious than others. But it's a gorgeous sunny day, and there are hundreds of flying fish all around the boat. And Charlie Brown (Renan's nickname due to the yellow shirt he wears) has gone back to bed, and I, now taking on the name Lucy, am in charge again. As it should be. Another day at sea to enjoy...

We made it to Cozumel and decided to anchor for a few hours, have a shower and dinner, and time our arrival into Isla Mujeres in the morning. So we'll be doing another overnight sail. I made us tacos and decided to take a nap, my shift is scheduled to be from 2:00-5:00 am.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment