Monday, April 1, 2013

Heading North to Mexico, March 28, 2013




After two full weeks of being unofficially in Belize, we're finally leaving. We never planned on staying so we never checked in. Kind of amazing that there are no immigration officials in these places or coast guard to check us out. We were planning to be nearly in Tampa by now, but due to the early problems with the boat, and then a couple Northern fronts making it too rough, we are just now making our way to Isla Mujeres.
We were up at 5:00 and had to pull the anchor up by hand, since a bolt on the Windlass broke. We are having to head a few miles South first to get out the pass through the reef at Long Caye. Now we've made it out and are heading North, but it's pretty rough and we're only going about 4.5 knots. So what Renan calculated as being about a 36 hour trip (at 6 knots) will be longer unless we get further offshore and can make up some time with help from the wind. This will be our first overnight, and I will actually be responsible for taking the helm on my own watch for several hours. I have offered to stay up the latest since I am notoriously a night person. The guys will take turns sleeping in about 4 hour shifts, but one of them will likely be right behind the helm with me at most times. I am looking forward to making some headway. I have been getting rather concerned that we will not make it in time to Tampa for my flight, let alone to spend time with my cousin Paula as I had planned. I still hope to make it in time to take her out for her birthday and catch my flight out on the early morning of the 5th. However, Renan says that no matter what he wants to stop in Isla Mujeres and go diving. Unfortunately while we were meeting up with friends last week in Caye Caulker and then Caye Ambergris, we missed a good weather window and ended up staying much longer than expected.
Anyway, the water is a much deeper blue here than I have seen so far. I'm tired but can't seem to sleep. Hopefully I'll get a good nap later so I can stay alert during the night. The sun is starting to peek out, so hopefully these squalls of rain will soon be behind us.



The sun came out and the day went fast. It's been rough, the boat's been getting pounded with the waves, but I'm getting used to walking just a couple steps at a time, balance & wait for the wave, then go again. I've just watched a gorgeous sunset while tossing some old tortillas to a seagull that's been following us. I love being on the water, and like Jimmy Buffett, I'm realizing that the best latitudes are between about 10-30 degrees North. I would prefer to spend most of my days in the teens.







- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment