Thursday, August 5, 2010

Free day in Cusco

We got to relax a bit in the morning on our free day, Paula & I had wanted to go rafting, but after several days in the unexpectedly cold weather here, we decided against it. Several of our tour companions headed out early to start their hikes to Machu Picchu. We joined the Kiwi couples for a trip to the black market, where the locals go, but we were unimpressed by the prices.
Afterward the 2 of us went to the only Indian restaurant in town and feasted on several dishes from the yummy buffet for only 15 soles (about $6).
After lunch Paula went for a massage while I got a cheap manicure. Then we explored more of the city. It is much larger than we thought, there are lots of pretty plazas & many markets to shop for local crafts. In the evening we went to a folkloric show & the second buffet of the day. There was a wide variety of local foods to try, I had alpaca again. There were about 8 different colorful dances of all types. The costumes were very elaborate & we really enjoyed the entertainment. Afterwards a Peruvian band played some local favorites or their interpretations of classical musicians.
I have been enjoying the popular coca tea they drink daily here. They use coca leaves, which are said to help with altitude sickness, digestion, & provide energy. They also sell several kinds of coca candy & other products which I doubt I'll be able to bring back to the states.








































No comments:

Post a Comment