Sunday, May 9, 2010

Day 6 Thailand

I finally slept a bit. Woke up to sound of rushing water, so I got up to wash & exercise. Gave girl bbubbles which we played wi for over an hour until others started to get up. 

Hiked out after breakfast, only about an hour & a half to huge waterfall where several of us swam.  Jenine & a few of the others sat along the side,opting not to go in. How they could resist the opportunity to cool off in such a beautiful natural site I'll never understand. Suddenly we heard screaming & saw them jumping up. Apparently a green viper slid right behind Jenine's back. Luckily it already had found its lunch; it had a mouse in its mouth, otherwise it may have bitten her.  This was not to be the only snake to find Jenine today. 

We continued hiking along the the water to where we'd catch our bamboo rafts. This was fun, there were many going down the river at the same time. The locals seemed to love to sit or swim along the edge to splash us as we floated by. The river was low & the rapids were pretty tame. Jenine, Penny & I shared a raft & took turns at the back pushing us along with the bamboo pole. We had a guide on the front, a little old Thai man. Penny was tired of guiding at the back & asked Jenine to take a turn. Luckily she did because as she got up we saw a small snake that had crawled right behind her on the raft!  It was really just a baby, but still unsettling for her. Our guide had to get it off for us & toss it in the water. 

After lunch we had a songthaew ride back to Chang Mai. (I promise to post a pic of a songthaew when I can upload some. Penny & I ran out to get a mani/pedi with foot & leg massage before our traditional dinner. The food was great & we got to see traditional Thai dances. They were slow & graceful, there was also a knife juggler/acrobat. Afterwards we hit the night market for some more shopping, trying not to buy much since we'll have to carry it all.   

No comments:

Post a Comment