Thursday, May 13, 2010

Day 12 Thailand

Got off the train a bit sleepy & suddenly realized I was a bit lightweight. Ugh!  I left my 2nd backpack on the train & had to jump back on for it, luckily just in time. We hopped in a taxi to the bus station, where we grabbed a quick breakfast from KFC & Dunkin Donuts.  Think I might be putting on a few pounds again?  Lots of travel time, not much exercise some days.  
We arrived in Kanchanaburi & checked into the Tamarind Guesthouse on the River Kwai. We had a few hours free time to check out the town, how cute!  Lots of tiki bars & restaurants, backpacker joints, bookstores, oh & I can't forget the bars at the end of the street with all the hookers calling out to us.
In the late afternoon we rented bikes to ride around town. 1st stop the JEATH Museum (Japan, England, Australia & America, Thailand, Holland). I learned a lot of disturbing information about WWII & the Japanese POW camps, one of which was right here.  The museum contained war memorabilia & lots of photos & articles of the atrocities of the camp & the emaciated, starving prisoners who had to dig & build Hellfire Pass-a railroad from Thailand to Burma through rocky mountains. The museum was established by an abbot of the nearby temple to remind us of how terrible war is. Back on our bikes, we rode to the cemetery, but it was closed. There are very few cemeteries in Thailand, because they believe in cremation. We continued our fun ride on the crazy busy main road through town, on to the Bridge over the River Kwae (I've seen it also spelled Kwai-apparently this is incorrect). What a lovely area- lots of flowering trees & floating restaurants.  We walked across the bridge for some photos, then headed back for a snack at a place we saw advertising Mango & sticky rice. The whole group has now gone crazy for it.  I also had a yummy papaya shake. 
Our tour leader, Sek, took us to a place for dinner as a group. I had Pad Sie Ew & decided to try a new dessert: taro balls in warm coconut milk. I never imagined I'd find anything to rival mango sweet rice, but it's delicious!! A new favorite dessert, just what I need. 

1 comment:

  1. I so blew it. I wish i would of gone. You look great and sound like your having so much fun. I will probably make you go back with me one day. I am going to PA in June so maybe I can see you then. Also it sound like I need to start training for the Peru trip.lol Anyway talk to later and Im glad your having a good time. I missed you in the Dominican Republic.

    ReplyDelete