Monday, March 25, 2013

Off to see the cays of Belize

Thursday, March 21

We finally took off from Placencia on Wednesday about midday. Tom gave us the go ahead to keep going with one engine, since our mechanic didn't show up. So we went to the grocery for food & supplies for a few more days and got our last few minutes of Internet.
We set out in hopes of making it to a waypoint near the Tobacco Cays. Our speed was not what we'd hoped due to the wind and improper shape of the sails. Apparently our main sail is old and a bit stretched out, like many other things on this boat. However that's partially why we are taking it to Tampa to be sold; the owner is too old to keep up with it.
I made us some pizza for lunch and read in the hammock, my new favorite spot. We decided to turn in a bit earlier to anchor in an area called Blue Grounds. There are lots of little islands here, surrounded by mangroves, most with one or two thatched huts out over the water. How I'd love to call one of them my own! Mike thought he spotted a manatee but I missed it. Still hoping to see some while here in Belize, and we'd be ever so lucky to spot a whale shark...



The water here is much clearer and we could see the bottom, it goes from 30 ft to 2ft very suddenly, and we had to be careful not to hit reef as we tried to find a spot to anchor. It looks like it would be an awesome snorkel spot, and I can see several spots nearby marked on the cruising guide as good dive spots. I wish we had more time to just explore all these little sites, and I am unfortunately the one rushing us. We left a few days later than planned and then spent 3 extra days in Placencia, so now I am wondering if we'll make it to Tampa by the first of April. I had to choose a date and book a flight out of there though, and I have several friends waiting on me to embark on a couple other trips. So we have to keep this one moving.









As soon as we anchored by a little cay here, a lancha with four guys approached the boat. I'm sure the locals don't get too much action out here and like to meet the visitors and try to sell them something, however I was a little nervous. Of course they just wanted to know if we would buy any conch or wanted them to catch us some fresh fish, then they asked if we had any smokes. Renan later said this is very typical, they want cigarettes and not much more. We said we'd buy some snapper from them but it was nearly dark already and when they found out we'd be leaving first thing in the morning they took off and didn't return. We all agreed to be vigilant throughput the night and keep checking out every hour or so; the guys were only slightly concerned that if the forecast was wrong and the wind shifted the boat would swing over toward the shallow reef. I however, was more concerned that the four men in the little boat would return for our valuables or me. Oh how I've gotten more paranoid in my 30s, I'm sure I have my mother to thank for that. I keep thinking that I'm glad she won't know about some of these adventures until they are in the past and I'm still safe. I of course have to edit this blog knowing that she, and who knows who else, will read it. I'm thinking I should have separate version for myself to reread someday with more details about the Caribbean adventures I'm experiencing but can't quite share.

Anyway, I was awake a lot throughout the night but besides my vivid dreams, it was uneventful. We had planned an early departure, as soon as the sun was up enough to see to navigate past the reef. We were on our way before 6:30 and Renan maneuvered us out of the cays again and onto our track. He put out the sails and the wind finally seems to be in our favor. We're moving at nearly 7.5 knots and hope to make it to Caye Caulker by around 4:00 this afternoon to meet up with some of Mike's friends who've been diving and waiting for us for several days. If all goes well we should be meeting up with them in time for happy hour. Mike is excited to share the ginger beer he found and claims is the best he's had.
Renan gave me another brief sailing lesson this morning; I am picking up bits here and there. I made breakfast and now the guys are taking turns napping and at the helm while I am enjoying the hammock. My plans for the next several hours until our arrival include getting some sun on the trampoline at the bow while reading and napping, making lunch, and taking a turn or two at the helm. Another tough day on the water in paradise.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment