Friday, July 30, 2010

Off to the Amazon jungle

We got an early start to catch a flight to Puerto Maldonado, where we took a bus then boat into the Amazon region. The boat ride down the Madre de Dios was a great beginning to our jungle experience. The ongoing joke of the trip has been Paula's skills as a wildlife spotter. The minute we got down to the water before we even got on the boat, Paula calls out, "Oh my goodness, there's an anaconda right there!" So sure of herself. I know that it is extremely rare to see an anaconda, so it could not be, but I will say it did move like a snake. Everyone seemed intrigued for a second, then burst out laughing to realize it was a banana leaf floating down the river. Later we were given lunch in banana leaves.
I was thrilled that the weather was sunny & warm, but frustrated that they told us it would likely be the coldest night ever in the forest here. They blamed it on El Nino. We had a peaceful ride to the lodge, spotting birds & caiman along the way. The lodge is very cute but also environmentally conscious. We got settled then started trekking to the canopy tower. I was so excited to see monkeys immediately, 2 different species right by the lodge: spider monkeys & capuchin monkeys. The braver of us climbed 191 steps to the top of the tower for spectacular views of the canopy of the rainforest. We were able to spot parrots, toucans, & macaws among other birds.
After dinner I went for a night hike with our guide, Jhin, to look for frogs. We saw a few frogs as well as lots of spiders & insects, jaguarundi (small black wildcats), night monkeys, caimans, & a gecko.

































Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment